I have been eating a LOT these days. I generally eat real, whole, and healthy foods. I know it is the best support for my body and what I put it through with a heavy training load. Nonetheless, for the last few weeks I have been gravitating towards some very caloric and not-so-healthy choices. I am still eating tons of vegetables for nutrients, and I think the added calories have attributed to quicker recovery than I recall from previous training…so I’m trying to be okay with it – for now. I recently played around with nachos and created something we really enjoyed, so I thought I would share.
- 1 chicken breast, diced and cooked. Add spices while cooking if desired. I added salt, pepper, and chili powder.
- 1- 15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed.
- 1 yellow bell pepper chopped (I’m sure any color would do).
- 1 – 8 oz. can diced green chiles. (This is what we had, I think two cans might be even better).
- About 1 cup of shredded cheese. Could add a little more.
Then, in a casserole dish, cover with a thin layer of tortilla chips. Add about 2/3 of the chicken mixture. Add another layer of chips. Add the rest of the chicken mixture. Then top with additional cheese as desired.
Bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for about 20 minutes, or until melted and warm all the way through and brown on top. (Check occasionally to make sure the top doesn’t over-brown, and top with aluminum foil if needed).
You could add a number of other items to the mix at the beginning (such as onion, olives, and whatever else you might like with nachos). I think the reason they worked well is that all the fillings were evenly mixed together.
Enjoy. For a treat. Or not and eat healthier food 🙂