I am sure I’m not alone in partaking in different activities all related to riding a bike:
- Riding outside on my triathlon bike.
- Riding an indoor training on my triathlon bike.
- Riding in or outside on my road bike.
- Commuting to work on a heavy bicycle with added weight (panniers filled with food and clothing).
- Exercise classes at a gym. Usually interval workouts and most likely in a slightly different position than either a triathlon-specific bike or a road bike.
If you are training for a triathlon, it may be difficult to figure out where all of this fits in. Commuting may involve just short bursts. However, particularly if you are ramping up and training many hours a week, I have found that it’s best to count all of it in overall volume to ensure I’m not building too quickly; but to just make sure I’m still getting the basic workouts in – probably at least one interval workout a week and a long rode.